Coming off of several of my own posts about the process of submitting your work (and then thankfully being accepted!) I feel like this is an awesome post to share today. You don’t know how many times I’ve heard that advice to put that one odd poem in your submission. I have to remember to keep trying that.
I’ve been a reader for a #litmag for a year now. If you are a writer just starting to submit, here’s a few tips from us folks behind the scenes:
- If the pub says send up to five poems, send five poems. Not just one or two.
- Best poem first.
- Put that one poem you feel weird about in there. You never know.
- Don’t be clever in the cover letter. Ever. Brief, boring and vaguely nice will suffice.
- I don’t care if you have never been published. We would love to be your first.
- Long lists of your every publication and award makes me do a little eye roll at this point in the game, which is early.
View original post 283 more words